4.28.2008

The Things I never knew about trampolines

So, we got the internet back up somehow-- Dave can perform miracles when they are needed! And I just looked out my back patio door to the most glorious scene you can imagine which propelled me to the computer to write the family letter with all haste.
Let me set the scene...
The Hitchmoughs generously allowed us to use their tramp whilst they are away and so, true to our promise of 'when it is springtime, we'll set up the tramp', Dave and the boys spent an industrious hour on Friday afternoon assembling the rods, springs and mat into what now is the Hitchmough's tramp.
So, ground rules were laid quite quickly: No jumping with shoes on, no pushing, no going on the blue part, etc. etc. etc., and I (foolishly, and quite naively) thought this would be sufficient for a happy, safe trampoline experience this summer, but today, just three days after the initial launching of said jumping device I was proved an incompetent rule-maker, or if that is judging myself too harshly, at least inexperienced, for as I peered out the glass this morning I found the tramp strewn with rocks from the once-landscaped rock garden in the yard.
'Boys, I don't think you realize that rocks will rip the trampoline, so please take them all off and never do that again!' and then we proceeded to race to see who could pick up the most rocks at one time.
That new rule in force, and I was back to listening to a very interesting and inspiring talk by Jeffrey Holland that Cammie told me about and which I will send the link to all of you because I know you will love it.
Something prompted me to check on the boys one more time (call it foreboding or the spirit or just the sixth sense that I have developed when the boys are out of my sight for more than ten minutes) and what do I behold? Words cannot fully do justice to the glories I beheld, but I will try. There, stretched out on the tramp in complete abandonment and comfort were two naked jiggers! It reminded me of the pictures from the renaissance where the naked figures are lounged with one leg over the other, hand behind the head and simply content in their own skin and nothing else! I immediately grabbed the camera, zoomed in and tried to catch the moment without catching anything too inappropriate on film. If I had my USB cord I would send the pics with the email, but Tootsie has it and I will get it back tonight!! Look forward to proof of my words tomorrow.
Needless to say, after I could stop laughing, I tried to sound thoroughly mother-ish and demanded they re-clothe or the trampoline get dis-assembled as soon as Daddy gets home tonight, and the newest rule is that if anyone takes off their underwear again while anywhere near the tramp, they are banished for the rest of the summer from it!
What is with boys and nakedness?? Or it is just my boys? Who knows.
Anyway, ON to other and much less entertaining things...
Dave is really enjoying working on site this past month. He is replacing all the windows at the Union Club building. He says The Club is straight out of the old days where men go to read the paper, play billiards and generally unwind after a rigorous five hours at the office ordering people to do their bidding. The hamburgers on the lunch menu at the club are $12! Vintage was going to buy lunch for all the site guys every Friday but after one lunch and much more money than they were anticipating, that new tradition is no longer. Dave said even the employees ignore them-- true snobbery is when the servants look down their noses at you more than their employers, isn't that what Georgette Heyer says?
Anyway, Ockey's getting 4 teeth as we speak and has been a very boogery, slobbery little chubby this past week or two.
Spencer got in trouble at school the other day- I usually park a bit down the block from the school and he walks to meet us, but on this day he wasn't coming, so I drove into the staff parking lot and got out to find him. I asked around and neither of the patrol teachers had seen him cross the crosswalk so I went into his class room whereupon his teacher said he told her I knew he was going to go out and play at the park afterwards. She suspected he was not telling the truth, but let him go, hoping otherwise.
We went out to the playgrounds and looked, but no Spencer. He was nowhere to be seen and so I thought maybe I had passed him on the way, so I got back into the car and drove home, drove back and still didn't see him. As I pulled into the lot there we was talking to one of the teachers as calm and complaisant as can be.
'Spence, where were you?'
'I was at the park with Hyeon-Woo'
'We looked at both parks and you were not there, buddy.'
'I went around the back because he wanted to show me a lizard.'
As we explained the worries and the reasons why he could not go somewhere if I did not know about it, and the fact that he told his teacher a lie, all he could say was 'But how was I to know that Hyeon-Woo wanted to show me a lizard?'
How indeed?
And that is about all I can write because Okes is feeling neglected.
The link for that amazing talk by J Holland is
http://www.classical89.org/byudevoarchive/archive.asp
ANd I promise the pictures will be forthcoming...
JP

No comments: